My sun porch

My sun porch

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Shake it off

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, (Hebrews 12:1 NIV)

It may be a bit trendy to use the phrase "shake it off" with the popularity of the Taylor Swift song, but I feel it is very appropriate.

I was reminded today of the old story about the farmer who had a donkey that fell into a deep well. While the donkey was braying and crying and wanting out, the farmer tried and tried to think of to get him out, but couldn't figure it out. He decided to give up and just fill in the hole...with the donkey still in it! He started shoveling in dirt and the donkey cried all the louder. But, after a few shovels, the  farmer noticed the donkey was doing something. As each shovel full hit his back he shook it off and stepped on the dirt. He kept this up and finally stepped right out of the hole!

This is a simple old story to teach a lesson, and it is easily forgotten. However, today I see the importance of doing just what the donkey did! I need to shake off the negative feelings I've been having. Shake off the behaviors that are weighing me down and trying to bury me. Shake off the feelings of doubt and fear that have been keeping me from being as productive and happy and content with my life.

Shaking off is not as easy as dancing around as Taylor Swift does, It takes a shift in my thinking. A state of mind that allows me to let go of the pain and hurts that are holding me back will require work on my part. Exercising those muscles in my mind is as difficult as excercising my out of shape leg and ab muscles. Practice and persistance is required.

I imagine I am not alone in the need to "shake it off." Are you with me? If so, share with me what you need to shake off and how you plan to do it. It's easier if we do it together. It's also easier if we allow God to help us. I pray we can do this! I know I will be better off! How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment