My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

When you're worried and cannot sleep...


Good morning!


Worries...do you have any? How about ones that wake you up in the early morning and stick with you all day? And how do you keep the Christmas spirit and joy in your heart that you long to have when worries spread through your brain like a speeding locomotive? That's what I woke up to this morning.


Worries...about many things really. And being the "positive" person that I am...my being depressed by Christmastime worries...well, that worries others. It's a vicious cycle.


Matthew 6:25 That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing? (NLT) Sounds so easy, doesn't it?


Then why can't I put those worries out of my mind? It really is all about trust. I have responsibilities and God trusts me to use the time, talents and treasures He gives me to keep my family safe and warm and fed... and to keep my work, church and friend lives in order as well. It all just seems too much sometimes. That is when (like now!) I am not trusting God enough and trying to handle everything myself. Why do I do that to myself????


Are you like me? Are you wanting to enJOY this holiday season but your joy is being clouded by worries about money, family issues, work, world problems? I have a feeling there are many out there like me. Well, since there's strength in numbers...let's all work on this together! There's also strength in knowing and BELIEVING and TRUSTING what God has to say about worry.


In 1 Peter 5:7 we are instructed to “cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” God does not want us to carry around the weight of problems and burdens. In this verse, God is telling us to give Him all of our worries and concerns. Why does God want to take on our problems? The Bible says it is because He cares for us. God is concerned about everything that happens to us. No worry is too big or too small for His attention. When we give God our problems, He promises to give us the peace which transcends all understanding (Philippians 4:7)


I love hearing The Messiah sung at Christmas. Someone I know recently said that Handel was a genious...I truly believe that as that music touches my heart every year...but it's the words that carry the real meaning and those come from the REAL genious, our loving Father. Through Jesus, He said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30)


So, in this week or so before Christmas, you can work on this with me. I want to do what it says in Philippians 4:6, Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all he has done. (NLT) Maybe then I will experience even just a little of that peace that passes all understanding. A little peace is all I want this Christmas!


Remember that scene in "White Christmas" when Bing Crosby sings about "when you are worried and cannot sleep, count your blessings instead of sheep." Count with me, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment