My sun porch

My sun porch

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Words, words, words


There's a line from "My Fair Lady" in which Eliza sings, "Words, words, words. I'm so sick of words." That's what today's message makes me think of.


Just in case some of you don't know me...I like to talk. Words are usually not a problem for me. As a matter of fact...especially when I write, I use TOO many words. When writing papers for classes, I was often instructed to be more susinct and to the point.


Do you think God gets tired of our words? I mean how our prayers go on and on and on...The devotional I read today encouraged me to do two things. First, we should start out, before we ask anything for ourselves or our families, we should begin with worship. Praising and worshiping our God creates a connection and better enables our hearts to pray how HE wants us to pray. Imagine...God will give us wisdom and guide us to who, what and how we should pray! And here all along, I have been droning on and on about what MY needs are...God knows better than I what my needs are!


But, in order to gain from this God-driven guidance, I have to HEAR it. Perhaps one of the biggest surprises comes when the Lord asks you to sit and be still. He just wants to be with you. He isn't interested in words; he just wants you to let him love you. I have studied about being still before. Our pastor did a whole sermon on this topic...encouraging us to pray, "Speak Lord, your servant is listening."


Today, I am stopping my words right now...asking God to lead me, my thoughts and my prayers. It's not about my words...it's about my heart.


Have a wonderful day and STAY WARM!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment