My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Good things...

Memory verse:
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Good things...We all want more of those and fewer bad things. Well, of course, Linda...that is a no-brainer! But how many of us focus on the bad things...bad things that ARE happening to us right now...bad things that MIGHT happen to us in the future....bad things that have happened to us in the past...we all do it!

Psalm 139:1-4 says that God knows EVERYTHING about us...even things in our heads...things we say before we say them. God knows it all! I'm glad I know that he loves me IN SPITE of those things! The things in my head are not always pleasant...mainly because I am worried about the bad things instead of the good.

It is easy for me to get caught up in the bad things and give in to the depression that comes along with worry. Yesterday started out to be one of those days. I woke up at 3:00 in the morning, worried about the bills I had left to pay this month. I laid there for 30 or so minutes with my mind spinning round and round, not able to put those thoughts away and go back to sleep. So I gave in, got up and instead of praying about it, went to my newest addiction...Grey's Anatomy from the beginning. I am now in love with that show and it takes the place of cake and peanut butter to comfort my worried mind. I get sucked into the lives of the doctors on that little screen and forget about my worries for a while. The problem is...one episode leads to another...and to another and HOURS are gone from my day.

I COULD have spent that time praying about my worries...I COULD have taken my frustrations out doing exercise...I COULD have focused on GOOD things in my life and tried to make more good things happen, but instead I worried and then tried to escape. Isn't that what most of us do? We worry, focus on the bad and the find something to escape in and run away.

Lucky for me I am able to listen to that little voice in my head that nags me from time to time...I heard "Linda, GET UP AND DO SOMETHING!!!" I listened and obeyed that voice and got some big...good things accomplished before I went to work yesterday.

I believe that little voice was my conscience...but I also think the Holy Spirit worked inside of me too, because I began thinking of someone other than myself. I sent messages to my  prayer partners, I got out things for supper for my family and thought about planning my day around others. Good things happened yesterday...I believe they can happen today too! So join me today...put your worries aside for a moment...think of something good you can do for SOMEONE ELSE! it will make you feel better and get you focused on good things instead of bad! 

Have a GOOD day!

1 comment:

  1. It has only been recently that I have tried to concentrate on the positives and surprisingly enough, the good outweigh the bad. But sometimes the bad just seem so overwhelming that they are hard to push away! I continue to try to work on myself and my constant state of concerns and worries by appreciating the little things in my life such as my wife & kids, my health and any number of good things that I have. Sometimes I listen to music to make the stress go away because that is a source of relaxation for me. Hopefully your stress will give way to positive thoughts soon so you can enjoy the summer months and relax Lindella!

    ReplyDelete