My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, May 6, 2011

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble!

This week's memory verse:
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

Yesterday I didn't do our Bible study because I ran out of time, and instead wrote my own thing...what was on my heart at the time...forgiveness. Then when I went to catch up this morning, I found that yesterday's study was about...mercy and forgiveness! God is good and works in mysterious ways!

The last line of this week's memory verse is to "walk humbly with your God." What does that mean?

 Psalm 25:4-10 is a prayer to God. The author is asking God to show, teach and guide him, while also asking God to forget and forgive the sins and rebellions of his youth.

We can say this same prayer. We can learn to walk humbly with God by seeking God and ask him to show us, teach us and guide us in his ways.

God sent us the perfect teacher...Jesus. He was from God, but he was also human. He hung around normal people and taught them...and us...how to walk humbly with God.

Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus describes himself as gentle and humble in heart and offers us rest for our souls.

Jesus also says his yoke is easy and his burden is light. My pastor once used a yoke during his sermon. We got to see what a yoke looks like. It is a harness of such, that allows two animals (horses, oxen, etc.)  to be connected together and make their load lighter. When Jesus says his yoke is easy, he is NOT the one driving the team...he is one of the animals...yoked WITH us! He is the older and wiser of the animals who knows the way and will lead the team of two animals joined together. But this requires humility on our part. We might THINK we know the way and try to pull our load in a different direction. This always leads to confusion and pain for us, because we are trying to pull the load ourselves, not using the wisdom of Jesus who wants to lead us in the BEST WAY. We are fighting the leader of our team.

The lesson we need to learn is when we humble ourselves, realize that we DON'T know the right way, and let Jesus lead us, God will lift us up and take our anxieties away in his time.

With my weight loss attempts, I have found I can work, sweat, count calories and struggle all I want, but until I learn to let GOD LEAD ME AND TRUST HIM FULLY WITH MY LIFE AND MY BODY...I will never experience lasting success.

God loves me too much to leave me the way that I am...when I seek his wisdom and guidance, he opens my heart and mind to his wisdom through the example of Jesus. I am so thankful that God is that loving and patient with me. I pray that I am humble enough to hear, respond and obey. 

Do you realize you are yoked with Jesus? Are you trying to pull your load in your own direction and by yourself? Humble yourself and ask God to show you, teach you and guide you to trust him enough to let Jesus lead you and make your load lighter and easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment