My sun porch

My sun porch

Monday, May 2, 2011

Work toward consistent balance...

This week's memory verse:
"He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." -- Micah 6:8

I think back to why I got involved with First Place 4 Health almost 2 years ago...I thought it would be a good way for my daughter and I to learn how to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle. I have learned much more than that and have been inspired to keep God in my life every day through Bible study and prayer...that helps me to live a more balanced life. I also have learned that you get out it what you put into it. What an amazing thought!

There have been MANY times in the last two years that I haven't put very much into this balanced life thing, thinking that is was too hard, or I enjoy eating too much, or I am just too lazy and don't want to try. Making a goal of how much weight to lose and how much to exercise each week didn't help  much when I went ahead and did what I wanted to anyway. I didn't gain a lot of weight, but I certainly didn't lose any that way!

But, there have also been times when I put a lot into it, logged what I ate, walked on my lunch hours and kept under my calorie count AND did the daily Bible study...during those times, I DID lose weight, got complements and felt good about myself. I was headed toward a balanced life.

The problem is I am not consistent...I waffle between the two behaviors too often and even though I have lost about 25 pounds in 2 years, I know I could have lost more had I been consistent. Now, please don't think I am being too hard on myself...I am proud that I haven't ever given up in the last 2 years, but with hind sight, it is easy to see how I can do better.

And, I remind myself and you as well that this balanced life that I am reaching for is not all about weight loss. Learning to achieve balance in ALL areas of my life is my goal. I am reminded this morning that God is there is help me with this momentous struggle if I just ask him.

Our memory verse this week tells us that God has shown us what is good. All God requires of us is to act justly, (obey his commands and live right) to love mercy, ( be forgiving and remember the golden rule) and walk humbly with our God (talk with him and listen for his guidance.)

This all sounds good doesn't it? But to live this way seems hard to us, like it is hard for me to live consistently. Read Deuteronomy 30:11-14. What does God promise about his commandments?

He says that they are NOT too difficult for us! God's word is available to us, as close as our tongues are to our mouths. We know what to do...just do it!

Read Psalm 119:9-11 - what is the result of living according to God's word?

When you keep God's word in your heart, you will have God's help in not straying from his commands. How do you keep God's word in your heart? Memorize scripture. That is why this program has a weekly memory verse. You study a verse for a week and put it in your mind and heart...then when you need it, it will be there to guide you.

James 1:5 says when you ask God for help, he gives generously and will give you wisdom. His word...the Bible is FULL of wisdom! Even the most sceptic unbeliever would agree there are words of wisdom in the Bible. That's where the "golden rule" came from and who doesn't agree with that?

I have learned that I have more will power and make wiser choices when I spend time studying and memorizing scripture each day. Who has time to do that? Who DOESN'T have time to learn to live a better life?

I pray that God helps me be more consistent in my balanced life journey. I know there will be times when I fail, but I hope never to give up, continue to work toward balance. I pray that for you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment