My sun porch

My sun porch

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Learning not to waver...

This week's memory verse:
"He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." -- Micah 6:8

Yesterday I talked about how I need to be more consistent. Today's Bible study is titled "Don't waver." This means kind of the same thing, and shows that wavering in my faith leads to the inconsistencies in my life.

Several years ago author Gary Chapman wrote a book called "The Five Love Languages." In it he explains that everyone gives and receives love in different ways...the way we ultimately understand. It is a good book and can help you learn the ways your loved ones need love shown to them. The Bible tells that God's love language is obedience. Jesus said "If you love me, you will obey what I command." (John 14:15) there are many ways we can show our love to God, but the one that means the most to him is to do what he says.

1 Samuel 15:22 says that "to obey is better than sacrifice."

The verses BEFORE our memory verse for the week shows a person asking what he should do to show love to God...bring burnt offerings? Rivers of olive oil? His first born? The rest of memory verse explains that God has already explained it to us...act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God.

Read John 14:21. What does Jesus promise to those who love and obey him?

Last week I talked about hearing Andy Stanley speak about how God's commandments are there to protect us from ourselves. Psalm 119 is a like a love letter to us, explaining how much God loves us and wants us to obey him for own good. Read those verses for yourself. You will see that those who follow his commands are blessed and we can delight in God's commands because he is our protector and counselor.

While it is impossible for us to be good ALL THE TIME, many times we fail when our trust and belief wavers. James 1:6 urges us to believe in God's word, without wavering. A mind that wavers is not completely convinced that God's way is the best.

I can see that when I look at patterns in my own behavior. In the things I am really working on...healthy living and living in financial wisdom...it's when I forget about God's teaching and God's advice and do what I want to do anyway that I fail and make poor choices. Those choices end up hurting me or make my life journey harder than it needs to be. Those are the natural consequences for my disobedience. 

I am on a journey in this life, learning about God, my creator, and learning how to show God my love. Today, I ask that loving God to teach me his ways, to teach me how to obey. I know that I will waver from time to time, but I ask that those times be fewer and far between. I listen for God's guidance more each day. I am blessed to know him and his loving ways. My wish for those reading this today is that you also realize how much you are loved...may you be blessed enough to realize it and delight in that knowledge today!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment