My sun porch

My sun porch

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Addicted to busyness...

This week's memory verse:
"'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."'" -- Luke 10:41-42

Do you remember the info-mercial from several years ago where Susan Powter would yell "STOP THE INSANITY!"? Well...that's what I am about to yell about my own life, but instead of insanity, I want to yell "STOP THE BUSYNESS!"

Busyness is something that I have been TRYING to work on for several years now. There are so many things on my calendar...the problem is they are all good, worthwhile, meaningful things! How do you cut them out! I have made strides in the last year, downsizing my schedule, giving up a few of the tasks that I was responsible for. Whew! That made me feel better! But then, you know what happened? Yes, you know it! I found several more things to fill those spots. It's not that I just don't know how to say no...it's that I feel good when I am doing things for others...I love being involved in worthwhile ventures...I love doing things for myself too, (like singing in the Messiah this year!) But...I am beginning to wonder if I don't have a problem with busyness.

My friend sent me an email yesterday and instead of saying "Martha, Martha," from the Bible verse above, she said, "Linda, Linda, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed." Another friend emailed me this morning and said, "...take a rest. You don't have to do it all!" WAKEUP CALL!

Hi, my name is Linda and I am...addicted to busyness!

I have worked the 12 steps before, but maybe I need to go to Busyness Addicts Annoymous, if there is such a thing. I know, I could start a group! I know there are others like me out there struggling with busyness too! Let me open my calendar and look for a date to hold the first meeting...Wait a minute, I DO have a problem, don't I!

Seriously, the one thing I have going for me is that I am connected to God. I make sure that there is quiet time each day for me and God. "Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat - for he grants sleep to those he loves." -- Psalm 127:1-2 Yep, I may be busy, but I don't feel like I work in vain. When I sleep, I sleep well. There may not be enough hours in my sleep, but I do rest.

Perhaps I just need to rely on my Heavenly Father's guidance just a little more. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along right paths for his name's sake." -- Psalm 23:1-3

He refreshes my soul...maybe it's not the issue of the many things on my calendar, but what I do with the blank spots on my calendar. First, I have to make sure there ARE some blank spots. But, when there are moments of nothing to do, if I rest and go to God for his refreshing, maybe then he helps me be ready for the busyness and prepares my mind, body and soul to handle it all.

Don't get me wrong, there are probably things on my calendar that I can and should get rid of. But, if I am rested and relying on God's strength instead of my own, perhaps I can withstand the busyness of my life.

That may just be the busyness addict in me rationalizing, but it does make sense. Perhaps instead of trying to figure it out myself, I should pray about it.

Dear Lord, my shepherd, I know you lead me where I need to go and your gifts of stillness and rest will restore me. Help me to keep my addiction to busyness in check. Thank you for being with me and watching over me. Thank you for reminding me that all things come from you. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment