My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, November 30, 2012

Getting know THE great master...

A memory verse for today:
"I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope." -- Psalm 130:5

As I have mentioned before, I am reading a book with my church called God Space by Doug Pollock. I was touched by something I read this morning, and I want to share it with you. This is Mr. Pollock's idea, not mine.

Have you ever gone to a museum and while looking at and admiring all the sculptures and paintings, you come across a painting that you just don't get? You look and look, but you either don't know what it is, or don't understand what the artist was trying to convey. At those moments, I would love to have the artist right beside me, explaining what he meant to say throught his art.

We are like that painting that is hard to understand. We sometimes don't understand ourselves...we are not satisfied with our lives. We know there is more out there for our lives, but we just don't know what it is. Some us even go as far as to get away from the world we live in to "find ourselves."

If we open our minds to the possibilitity that we have a creator God who created the world, including us. we might have a way to "find ourselves." So, when we can't figure out who we are, where we are going, what we are here for...maybe we need to connect with our creator, the being that crafted us and put us together exactly the way he wanted us.

I believe God wants us to come to him and ask questions about his masterpieces...especially about ourselves. When you ask, God will answer in one way or another. How do I know this? How can I know what GOD is thinking or what he wants from us? Well....I don't REALLY know in any way except in my heart and from my experiences. I have searched...I have asked...I have struggled. When I turn my mind and heart to God, read the Bible for guidance, and pray and surrender my life over to my creator God, he brings a sense of peace to my heart and more importantly, I get a new infusion of HOPE in my heart that allows me to move forward. That didn't just happen! That feeling of hope didn't come from me and my flawed brain! It had to come from my loving and creative and master artist God!

Art is a way that creative people express themselves. When thinking of God as THE great master, it makes me want to learn from him and what he expresses through his human masterpiece. It makes it easier to understand myself and also makes it easier to look at his other masterpieces with tolerance and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment