My sun porch

My sun porch

Friday, November 16, 2012

Stretch...and follow Him

This week's memory verse:
"Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes." -- Isaiah 54:2

...And, speaking of rubberbands...Do you know what else I like about them? They are flexible! The can bend this way and that. They can go around round objects, square objects...they can hold a little or a lot. A rubberband goes with the flow and is NOT afraid of change...to a point. But, they can't do anything on their own, they have to have someone moving them and telling them which way to go. Someone has to stretch them in order for them to be useful.

You know, I AM a lot like a rubberband! In my years on this earth, I have discovered that flexibility is a skill and strength that not every one has...or perhaps most people HAVE the skill, they just choose not to use it. Being flexible to change, being flexible to adding the input of others, being flexible to THINKING about how your plans affect other people...it takes being like that rubberband.

One thing that I have learned, especially in the last year, is that my plans are not perfect, but God's plans are. I have made plans...thought for sure that my life was headed in one direction and kept barrelling through in that that one direction. Yes, I prayed...yes, I thought my plans were God's plans too. But, when things didn't work out the way I planned...I got mad...at God. I mean, come on! I live a good life...I read and study the Bible...I am nice...I do all the things I am supposed to do. Why did MY plans not work out the way I wanted to? THAT was the beginning of just another of God's lessons to Linda about being flexible and following Him wherever he leads me.

When I got over my anger and hurt feelings over not getting what I wanted, and I gradually worked my way back to trusting God as my leader, I learned to change MY plans.

Psalm 33:10-11 - The Lord blocks the sinful plans of the nations. He keeps them from doing what they want. But the plans of the Lord last forever. (I don't think my plans were sinful...but they WERE more about me than they were about God.)

Proverbs 19:21 - A man may have many plans in his heart. But the Lord's purpose wins out in the end.

Ok, Lord...you win! I will bend and move and change and follow you wherever you lead me. I am just beginning to see that your plan might just lead me to better things for me than I could even imagine for myself! Hmmm....imagine that!

A rubberband is made of rubber...it was MADE to be flexible. We are human...God made us up of flexible stuff too. But I think instead of just BEING flexible, we have to trust God and LEARN to be flexible.

All this "I will follow him" stuff makes me think of Sister Act...here is another goody for your Friday! Enjoy and learn to experience joy in even a fun song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPpd-6X3tEo

No comments:

Post a Comment