My sun porch

My sun porch

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Flexiblilty and Strength...Believe it or not!

This week's memory verse:
"Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes." -- Isaiah 54:2

All week I've been talking about flexibility and how God stretches us every day. We may not even realize we are being stretched, but every day as we first put our feet on the floor out of our beds, God stretches and stengthens us. When we are close to God, when we learn to rely on him each day, we become AWARE of that strengthening that is happening. It is those aware moments that I thank God for! I love to see Him at work in me and in people around me! It gives me hope that God DOES hold us together, even when we feel like we are AND verything around us is falling apart.

Yesterday, a friend of mine posted a video on Facebook. It is Louie Giglio talking about a protein molecule. I wrote about another Louie Giglio video earlier in the year where he displayed God's wonder and power in pictures and sounds of the stars and the whales. So, I watched the video. I have to admit that even though it touched me while I watched it, I was skeptical at the same time. Louie states that a molecular scientist showed him this very basic protein molecule that is in the human body. It is called laminin and is like rebar in a concrete wall...it is what the rest of the molecules and cells build upon...it is what holds the body together. And then he showed a picture of it....it looks like a cross. I thought...WOW! That is amazing! But, then, I thought, yeah right! The human body was formed THOUSANDS of years before Christ died on the cross. This is just a rigged up picture.

So, being the librarian that I am, I looked up some information about laminin. I read some interesting (not!) articles and found microscopic pictures that showed and explained about laminin. While it can be bent so the cross shape is harder to see, the basic shape of laminin IS that of a cross. Laminin is one of 3 other building block molecules in the human body, and it IS very important to strong cell structure.

So, then I thought about it...is it just a coincidence that one of the basic building blocks of the human body is shaped like the cross of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ? My mind and my heart are playing tug-a-war with this one. My heart REALLY wants to believe it. I mean, if you read scripture, you know that "In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1) So, Jesus was WITH God when he formed the world, AND the human body!

"For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him." Colossian 16:1

Ok, but in the beginning of time, how did God know that his son would die on a cross? THAT is a tough one that my brain pulls hard on. But, If God is all knowing, all powerful and is everywhere at all times, and I believe that he is, he WOULD have known from the very beginning that his beloved humans that he created would fall short and fall. He had a plan for our saving grace from the VERY beginning of time! Why wouldn't he "mark" us with Christ's cross from the beginning?

Believe it or not! Sometimes it's our minds that need to be flexible. When I believe that in my heart, WITH all my heart, my heart wins tug-a-war with my mind. Does that mean I am stupid and believe non-scientific things? Well...you be the judge of that. BUT, if being flexible enough to believe something so AMAZING makes me stronger, makes my faith in God stronger, makes me love Christ even more...what difference does it make if you think I am stupid? :-)

Watch the video for yourself. Make up your own mind. If you believe in a loving and saving creator, even a little bit...it will touch your heart too. It may make your mind and your heart play a game of tug-a-war, but I think God invites us to THINK and doubt sometimes. Stretch and strengthen your mind! How great is our God!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0-NPPIeeRk

No comments:

Post a Comment